phpBBHacks.com, the place for phpBB users

Bookmark and Share

Typing area way too wide.

Receive help with the installation and customization of the appearance of your phpBB 3, including styles and graphics. This is also where style and graphic authors can develop new styles and graphics (please read the guidelines first) and discuss development in general.
Tutorials: Changing Your Logo | Fixing Missing Images in Your Style

Typing area way too wide.

Postby tay666 » February 20th 2012, 9:07 pm

Ok, this past weekend I upgraded our board from 3.0.8 to 3.0.10
All went smoothly.
The only issue we are having now is when typing a post, a reply to a post, a PM, or reply to PM.
The area where you type the text (not sure of it's technical name) is too wide.
It pushes way out the right side of the screen.

As noted in the screen capture, it also seems like the text in that area is larger than normal also.
I figure either a template got changed, or something has the wrong font size default. Any pointers on where to look would be great.
Also, if anyone actually knows what the name of the typing area is, that could help me as well.

Only mod on the board is in the overall_header.html file for the added links at the top of the page, and to open links in a new window. During the auto-upgrade, I opted to replace any questionable files as opposed to merging.
tay666
New User

Postby Thoul » February 21st 2012, 7:28 pm

The posting form's HTML is in styles/subsilver2/template/posting_body.html. The code in that area generally looks like this:
Code: Select all
		<!-- INCLUDE posting_buttons.html -->
		<tr>
			<td valign="top" style="width: 100%;"><textarea name="message" rows="15" cols="76" tabindex="3" onselect="storeCaret(this);" onclick="storeCaret(this);" onkeyup="storeCaret(this);" onfocus="initInsertions();" style="width: 700px; height: 270px; min-width: 98%; max-width: 98%;">{MESSAGE}</textarea></td>
			<!-- IF S_BBCODE_ALLOWED -->
			<td width="80" align="center" valign="top">
				<script type="text/javascript">
				// <![CDATA[
					colorPalette('v', 7, 6)
				// ]]>
				</script>
			</td>
			<!-- ENDIF -->
	 	</tr>

This might also be an issue in the stylesheet, styles/subsilver2/theme/stylesheet.css. However, the style="" attribute on the textarea tag in the template file should be overriding the width settings in the stylesheet.
Thoul
Admin/Webmaster

Postby tay666 » February 21st 2012, 9:26 pm

Ok, I found the code and it matches what you posted.

I solved the problem by restoring an older version of that html file.
Seems to be working fine now.
Maybe when I get more time I will compare the 2 line by line and see if I can find exactly where the problem is.

Thanks for pointing me to the correct file to play with.
tay666
New User

Return to phpBB 3 Style and Design Support and Development