Community management insight at ManagingCommunities.com

Bookmark and Share

Presenting the Support Forums, Now Powered by phpBB 3

Announcements from phpBBHacks.com, including important phpBB related news. If there is a new thread here, please take a moment to read it.
Image phpBBHacks.com Announcements Mailing List

Presenting the Support Forums, Now Powered by phpBB 3

Postby Thoul » May 6th 2012, 11:38 pm

Hello,

Welcome to the newest iteration of the phpBBHacks.com Support Forums! As you have likely already noticed, the Support Forums are now operating on phpBB 3. After many years of standing on the very solid code base of phpBB 2, the time as finally come to embrace the future and move up to this powerful, more recent platform. It offers many exciting opportunities for expansion.

Even though we are moving forward, let's not forget the road already traveled. For those curious as to exactly how long the Support Forums ran on phpBB 2, that software was the backbone of this community for almost ten years to the day. Patrick upgraded the boards from phpBB 1.4.4 to phpBB 2 back in May 2002. I'm not sure as to when the forums first started sporting the blue, white, and gray theme we've known from the phpBB 2 years. I hope you'll find this prosilver variant cast in those colors to be as pleasing to the eye, however.

Now, if you've ever updated a forum from one phpBB version to another, you know that sometimes things don't go quite as expected. :bigwink: I believe I've tested this new installation and the few hacks installed on it well enough to squash any bugs. However, if you should encounter any problems as a result of the upgrade, please feel free to contact me by private message or the Contact form, which is linked at the top of each Support Forums page.

If you should receive a password related error when attempting to log in for the first time, it may be helpful to request a new password. The phpBB 3 documentation mentions that some passwords do not carry over well during the conversion from phpBB 2. Resetting one's password through this form can fix some password issues arising from the board conversions.

Thank you for visiting phpBBHacks.com,
Thoul
Thoul
Admin/Webmaster

Re: Presenting the Support Forums, Now Powered by phpBB 3

Postby Wil Vincent » May 8th 2012, 10:55 am

I like it!

When I first looked, I thought "Too Much Grey", but after spending 5 minutes trolling about, it really does look good. Simple, but effective :)
Wil Vincent
New User

Postby Thoul » May 8th 2012, 4:31 pm

Thanks, Wil. :) I had the same thought about the gray at first, but it grew on me also. This style lacks a few borders the phpBB 2 style used to add some blue here and there, but I may go back and make some adjustments later to break up the gray a little more.
Thoul
Admin/Webmaster

Postby Jester-fr » May 9th 2012, 4:17 pm

Welcome to phpBB3 ! :) Good stuff !
phpBB-fr.com - Administrator
Jester-fr
Not So New User

Postby bonelifer » May 10th 2012, 6:36 pm

Thanks for leaving the date/time info in things like "Last Post" column on index and other places. I always hated that it wasn't present on the phpBB 2 theme.
bonelifer - phpBBModders Moderator Team Leader - http://www.phpbbmodders.net
bonelifer
Experienced User

Postby Thoul » May 10th 2012, 6:59 pm

You're welcome, bonelifer. I think you might have confused phpBBHacks.com with one of Patrick's other communities; that info was on the phpBB 2 theme here, but he did remove it on another site. At any rate, I did find that info quite useful myself, so it will be here for a long time to come. :)
Thoul
Admin/Webmaster

Postby Patrick » May 11th 2012, 3:22 pm

Congrats Jeremy! :) I'm really happy to see that the conversion was able to happen so quickly. It was something that I had been planning for some time. Good stuff.

Re: the color scheme. That's really been our color scheme since day 1.

Re: time stamps. The only place it's ever been removed from any of the communities that I have managed was the index (no where else). But, not on all, as Jeremy said.

Thanks,

Patrick
Patrick
Founder

Postby Byzantine » May 13th 2012, 11:30 pm

Good to see it converted!
-Byzantine
Byzantine
New User

Postby mamade001 » July 28th 2013, 9:10 pm

y you ought to obtain a password linked mistake an internet for you to sign in for the first time, it might be beneficial to ask a fresh private data. The phpBB Three or more documentation mentions that a few account details tend not to continue nicely throughout the alteration coming from phpBB 2. Resetting one's pass word by means of this kind can deal with a few private data issues arising from your board sales.
mamade001
New User

Return to Announcements