Get Photoshop help and share your work at PhotoshopForums.com

Bookmark and Share

I need help understanding PHPbb3 permissions (I read the KB)

This forum is for questions and discussion pertaining to the phpBB forum software itself, as well as any phpBB 3 related topics that do not specifically fit into the other forums.
Tutorials: Clearing Your Cache | Creating a Custom Profile Field | phpBB 3 Permissions Guide

I need help understanding PHPbb3 permissions (I read the KB)

Postby New-To-PHP-Chick (Old) » November 11th 2008, 11:45 am

I read the KB but maybe I'm sleepy, because I still am trying to figure out which permissions override the others. I want to understand how they compete. So far I understand there are user level permissions I can set 1 by 1 and user forum permissions I can set 1 by 1. Then there is group permissions and group forum permissions. Then there are all these things like permission masks and roles and so on.

I don't know if anyone speaks "idiot" but if so, please let's discuss it. Give me examples of various scenarios where one override the other. What would be the complete process for defining permissions for 1 user? What would be the complete process for defining permissions for a new group?

Let's have a lengthly discussion about it, and hurdles faced, and how you accomplished your goals etc.
New-To-PHP-Chick (Old)
New User

Postby ~HG~ » November 11th 2008, 2:17 pm

Go into your ACP and select Advanced Permissions which will bring up a number of tabbed tables you can select one by one and that will give you more detailed information on what the permissions are.

You can do this one a per user basis or per group basis.

To test out a user's permissions you can go into their profile by clicking on a user name (Test Permissions) and from there it will give you the same view as the user.
~HG~
Dedicated User

Postby New-To-PHP-Chick (Old) » November 11th 2008, 7:21 pm

Example: In the KB on phpbb 3 it says

Group able to receive private messages
This will allow the sending of Private Messages to this group. Please note, that it can be dangerous to allow this for Registered Users, for instance. There is no permission to deny the sending to groups, so anyone who is able to send Private Messages will be able to send a message to this group!

However, there are options that DISALLOW sending messages to groups on a group by group basis. If I mark a group NO they cannot send group messages, but then mark the group itself YES they can get messages - which overrides which?

What if someone is in 2 groups? Group 1 is ALLOWED and group 2 is not allowed.... which permission overrides the other?
New-To-PHP-Chick (Old)
New User

Postby Richard558 » February 2nd 2009, 2:15 am

:-? All of my permissions seem to be working just fine except one.

I want my unregistered visitors to view posted images on one page offered as samples. I can set the page so guests can see the text but bb 3.04 will not allow the unregistered guest to see the posted image.

I am new; please humor me. Thanks
Richard
Richard558
New User

Return to General phpBB 3 Support and Discussion